Here are some easy do-it-yourself ideas to give the gift of stress reduction. Buy a basket or bag and line it with tissue paper-try two layered colors for extra fun-and accent with a coordinating ribbon tied around the handle or a flower tucked in between the goods.
A romantic dinner
Regular nutritious meals can help us keep glucose levels from rising, keep us alert and energetic, and keep our bodies in good health, all of which can lead to reduced emotional and physiological stress. A relaxing, romantic evening, complete with a warm atmosphere, good conversation, and a special meal made for you and your loved one may be the perfect gift to inspire them to unwind and rest their heart.
Whether you prepare the meal yourself or have someone else prepare it, be sure it includes the key ingredients for a pretty plate and a healthy meal: colorful fruits and vegetables.
Family fun night
Apart from Valentine's Day, spending time with family and friends may reduce stress, provide emotional support, and help you forget about your worries. As a gift for your loved one, consider planning a fun night that may feature:
- Games. From cards to board games to charades, there's something fun for everyone. Even doing a puzzle together can be a relaxing endeavor. Cooperative and team-based games are sometimes less stressful than competitive games, but choose something you know your loved one will enjoy, and bring others into the fun.
- Movies. Escaping into the world of story can be a perfect way to relax. Pick their favorite genre, and think about whether they'd prefer stepping out to the cinema, or relaxing with a film at home.
- Music and dance. Dancing is a great way to unwind and give your heart a boost of vitality. Clear the floor, and invite your loved one to dance to their favorite music for an hour or two. Inviting friends and family to join in can add to the fun.
Sleepy time gift
Getting enough sleep can help relieve the effects of stress on our hearts and our metabolism. Try gifting your sweetheart with any of the following to help them wind down in the evening and prepare for a good night's sleep:
- Body lotion. Try lavender or chamomile scents.
- Bath oils or salts. Look for rose and jasmine.
- Herbal teas. Search for caffeine-free blends, such as those with chamomile, lemon balm, or linden.
The personal touch
The personal touch in these kinds of gifts is what makes them unique and precious. Present your gift on a hand-written card, be as specific as possible with the date and time you have planned for the gift to be enjoyed, and consider decorating your card with ribbons and presenting it with a flourish.
(Diabetes Care 2016;39:s1-112)